Midland University’s English major provides students with an intellectual and practical ground in the study of literature and literary methodology and practice. We focus on writing (critical, professional, and creative), and the English language’s history and structure.
With a curriculum designed to develop a wide variety of skills, Midland English students gain lifelong proficiency in reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing, computer use, and research.
As a Midland English student, your professors and advisors will help you develop critical thinking and writing abilities, depth of learning, including aesthetic awareness, and preparation for graduate study or your professional career.
Midland University’s English department also provides many hands-on, comprehensive learning opportunities through student-led campus resources and classroom practicums. A few of these English programs include the Writing Lab, where students can receive writing assistance, the English Language Learning program in which Midland students tutor elementary school students, and Bits of Flint, Midland’s student-run literary journal.
Midland University English majors will be able to:
- Analyze a wide variety of literary works, encompassing the analytical skills of placing a work in context, understanding literary forms, reading closely, and using proper literary terms.
- Analyze the power of language as it manipulates and shapes reality through the aesthetic forms over time.
- Recognizes and applies literary and rhetorical devices appropriate to the audience.
- Apply literary critical theory, apply literary criticism, and address literary history.
- Construct works of literary criticism.
- Examine similarities and diﬀerences among genres and compose using diﬀerent genres.
English 7-12 Endorsement
Teacher education majors can elect to earn an English endorsement. Some of the courses offered to satisfy your English endorsement include Composition, Introduction to Literature, Advanced Writing, Introduction to Creative Writing, Linguistics, American and British Literature, Shakespeare, and Literary Criticism.
Midland University’s English major equips students with the tools for a wide range of careers. A few popular English major careers include:
- Assignment Editor
- Business Professional
- Literary Agent
- Manuscript Reader
- Post-Secondary Teacher
A full list of Midland University courses and credit information can be found in the Academic Catalog.View the Academic Catalog