Site Search

Student Accommodations Office

Student Accommodations Office

The Student Accommodations Office is located in Luther Library. The Student Accommodations Specialist works directly with students who have a documented disability and are seeking accommodations. Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973, The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and The Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments of 2008 (ADA) ensure persons with disabilities have equal access opportunities. Midland University is committed to providing an accessible learning environment and willingly makes reasonable accommodations for individuals with documented disabilities. 

The University strives to offer an environment where learning and personal development opportunities are available to all admitted students. Upon acceptance to Midland University, students seeking accommodations are responsible for notifying the Student Accommodations Office. Appropriate written documentation of disability is required, and any accommodation provided is based upon individual needs and existing academic requirements. All accommodations must be consistent with the established academic requirements and standards of Midland University, and a student with accommodations continues to be responsible for his/her education and personal needs. 

Midland University supports each student’s efforts to become a self-sufficient learner and encourages any student needing accommodations to seek support as early as possible. The Resources for Students section below provides more information on how to request and maintain accommodations. 

Questions about the accommodations process should be directed to

Resources for Students
Requesting Accommodations

The Student Accommodations Specialist works directly with students who have a documented disability and are seeking accommodations.

Learn More


Problem Resolution

A student who finds their accommodations unsatisfactory or believes implementation is inadequate is encouraged to discuss the matter with the faculty member and/or the Student Accommodations Specialist. 

Learn More


Assistive Technology on Your iPad

The iPad has many built-in features that can help students with accommodations to be successful in their classes.

Learn More


Resources for Faculty
Accommodations Process

The Student Accommodations Specialist works directly with students who have a documented disability and are seeking accommodations.

Learn More
Proctoring Exams

The Student Accommodations Specialist is available to assist with these accommodations.

Learn More
Temporary Accommodations

Periodically a student will sustain an injury that qualifies them for “temporary accommodations.”

Learn More
What is a disability?

The ADA defines a person with a disability as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activity. This includes people who have a record of such an impairment, even if they do not currently have a disability.

How do I obtain academic accommodations?

Midland University is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities, but any request for accommodation must be initiated by the student.  Under the provisions of 504/ADA, a student with a disability is responsible for providing written documentation that supports the request for accommodation and, despite having a disability, must be able to meet Midland University’s admission criteria, whether or not he/she requests an accommodation.  

The documentation you provide must be comprehensive enough to allow the SAO to make informed decisions about reasonable accommodations. It should include:

  • The name of the condition
  • A description of the tests or measure used to determine the condition
  • A description of how the condition impacts your major life activities
  • Recommendations for adjustments

Documentation should be from a qualified professional, such as a physician, psychologist, or learning specialist who is unrelated to the student. 

Documents, such as an IEP, MDT, or 504 plan, must be dated within the last 4 years. 

Students who have a verified special need, or suspect they have a disability, should contact the Student Accommodations Specialist, at

What kind of accommodations are available?

Students with a disability, who are eligible and registered for services, may request accommodations to ensure equal access to courses, programs, and activities. Academic and housing accommodations are determined based upon the needs of the individual student. Examples of academic accommodations include extended time for exams, use of a computer for exams, transcription services, notetaker, preferential seating in classrooms, wheelchair-friendly desk, and adaptive computer software. Examples of housing accommodations include wheelchair-accessible rooms, adaptive equipment, and emergency evacuation planning.

Do temporary injuries/surgery qualify for accommodations?

Midland University recognizes that students with temporarily disabling conditions that are the result of injuries, surgery, or short-term medical conditions may need access to services and resources similar to students with permanent disabilities. Examples of temporary disabilities may include but are not limited to broken limbs, concussions, hand injuries, persistent illnesses (3-6 month duration), or short-term impairments following surgery or medical treatments. 


The Student Accommodations Office does not excuse absences or coordinate missed work for students experiencing short-term illness (e.g. mononucleosis, strep throat, flu, bronchitis).  

Does the Student Accommodations Office have a grievance or appeal process?

Yes, if a student believes he/she is being excluded from participating in or being denied the benefits of the education process based on his/her disability, and required appropriate and reasonable accommodation has not been provided, the student may appeal to a broader body. If the outlined process and plan implementation was processed in accordance with the Midland University ADA guidelines, and if the accommodation, or lack thereof, is perceived by the student with disabilities as not satisfactory, the following recourse is available: 

  1. The student is to inform the Student Accommodations Office of the problem. The student is also encouraged to seek consultation and advocacy from the Academic Support Services staff. 
  2. The student is to discuss the lack of accommodation with the person(s) perceived as the source of the problem and seek resolution with the person(s). 
  3. If no resolution is found, the student is to forward his/her request for an appeal to the Coordinator for Academic Support Services. The designated staff will serve as an advocate for the student. The request for an appeal will be forwarded to the President’s Council. The student and Academic Support Services staff will be provided an opportunity to present the request to the Administrative Council. The decision of the President’s Council is final. 
Are accommodations available for student veterans?

Yes, those student veterans who have any type of physical, cognitive, or psychological impairment are encouraged to request accommodations and assistance. Traumatic Brain Injuries and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder are especially prevalent among returning college student veterans.

Do I need to make a new request for accommodations each semester?

Accommodations must be requested every semester.

  1. Set up an appointment or email the Student Accommodations Office.  This will ensure that the student’s accommodations are sent to the appropriate faculty member and that the student has communicated their renewal request with the SAO.
  2. To make changes to your accommodations at any time, please contact the Student Accommodations Specialist ( to discuss other options.
Who may I contact for more information?

Student Accommodations Specialist
Midland University
Luther Library
900 N. Clarkson
Fremont, NE 68025

I Accept

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. If you continue using our website, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website and you agree to our Privacy Policy.