College students considering a communications major, their parents, and future employers all want to know the answer to the question, “What can communication majors do professionally after graduation?” There are many answers ranging from securing full-time employment and making a difference in their workplaces to impacting their communities through work in higher education and/or nonprofits. Among the most important answers is that college graduates with communication degrees have the knowledge and skills employers need. They demonstrate strong verbal, nonverbal, and written communication skills and have considerable expertise in speaking well in front of small and large audiences. The Communication Studies major at Midland University features a modern approach to the communication tradition. By applying contemporary theory and skills to our professional and personal lives, our students get hands-on experience working within the communication field.
Throughout the Communication Curriculum, a Midland Communication Studies major will:
- Get field experience working to assist area organizations through our Midland University Communication Consulting Program;
- Explore and recommend solutions to “real-world” communication challenges within the interpersonal, professional, and political arenas;
- Develop their digital literacy skills by critically evaluating the messages presented to us through the media;
- Envision, create, and conduct their own communication research;
- Actively engage their world by presenting clear, organized, fluent, audience-appropriate, and strategic messages.
Good communication enables good citizens and good relationships. The mission of the Communication Studies program at Midland University is to prepare life-long learners who use their communication skills to innovate, engage, and lead our world with purpose.
Midland University’s Communication Studies major prepares students with the tools to succeed in a wide range of careers. Some career opportunities include:
- Media Relations
- Human Resources
- Instructional Designer
- Consulting Analyst
- Crisis Manager
- Political Activist
- Multicultural Specialist
- Mediation Consultant
A full list of Midland University courses and credit information can be found in the Academic Catalog.View the Academic Catalog
Department: Communication Studies