Midland University - Fremont, Ne

Students with Disabilities

Students with Disabilities

Accommodations for Students with Disabilities Introduction

Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973 along with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Americans wtih Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA)  are federal statutes that guarantee persons with disabilities equal opportunity for access in programs and activities that receive federal financial assistance.  Midland University seeks to support all learners and willingly complies with provisions of Section 504/ADA.

Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act of 1973

This legislation ensures that programs receiving federal financial assistance do not discriminate on the basis of disability for otherwise qualified persons. A "person with a disability" is defined as any person who (1) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, (2) has record of such an impairment, or (3) is regarded as having such an impairment. Major life activities include walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, and performing manual tasks.

Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 (ADA)

The ADA extends provisions of Section 504 to public and private companies who do not receive federal funding. This legislation requires that people with disabilities be provided equal access to public programs and services. According to law, "…no otherwise qualified individual with a disability shall, solely by reason of his or her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity of a public entity."

Seeking Accommodation at MU

Midland University is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities, but any request for accommodation must be initiated by the student.  Under the provisions of 504/ADA, a student with a disability is responsible for providing written documentation that supports the request for accommodation and, despite having a disability, must be able to meet Midland University's admission criteria, whether or not he/she requests accommodation.   

Students who have a verified special need, or suspect they have a disability, should contact Leaha Hammer, Student Counseling and ADA Coordination, at or 402-941-6027


1. The student self-identifies him/herself as a person seeking accommodation by contacting Leaha Hammer.  

2. The student meets with Leaha Hammer and together they complete the Request for Services form.

3. The student provides Academic Support Services Office with documentation of his/her disability (i.e., results of most recent psycho-educational evaluation, current medical records, statement of accommodations in current setting, etc.).     OR    If the student has a suspected disability, but has no current documentation, the student is then referred for an evaluation and the written results of the assessment are sent to Leaha Hammer.

4. The student and the Coordinator of Academic Support review the current documentation to determine need and types of reasonable accommodation.

5. If an accommodation is appropriate , the student completes an Authorization to Release Information to Other Parties form to designate individuals with whom the Coordinator of Academic Support may discuss the student's accommodations (i.e., admissions, instructors, residence life staff, etc.)

6. If an academic accommodation is sought, the student will complete and sign the Authorization to Request Accommodation form indicating the desire for accommodation letters to be sent to selected course instructors.

Each student receiving accommodation is responsible for his/her own educational and personal needs while enrolled at Midland University.

NOTE: In order to assure timely support, students are asked to make arrangements for accommodations with Leaha Hammer well in advance of the start of each instructional term. Should a student decide to request accommodation just prior to the beginning of a semester or once a term has started, he/she should recognize that there may be delay in the provision of accommodations.