Site Search

Graduate Programs | College of Health Professions

Master of Athletic Training 3+2 Option

Master of Athletic Training 3+2 Option

With our Masters of Athletic Training 3+2 option, students have the opportunity to complete an undergraduate degree and a Master of Athletic Training degree in just five years. Students can expect to complete the same courses and experience the same learning environment as the traditional Master of Athletic program path. 

Incoming students interested in the 3+2 option will begin by pursuing an undergraduate degree and fulfilling all prerequisite courses during the first three years of their undergraduate program. Eligible students will then apply to the MAT during their junior year. 

Once accepted into the program, students will be enrolled in our Master of Athletic Training courses in the summer and fall of their senior year while also finishing up their undergraduate degree. These master’s level courses also count as electives towards their undergraduate degree. 

By the end of the fall semester, successful students are awarded undergraduate degrees and become full-time graduate students in the spring. Student-athletes are allowed to finish their senior year of eligibility while enrolled in the MAT.

Once students are enrolled in the MAT program, they can expect to learn in a clinical immersive athletic training experience in a variety of settings and across a wide range of sports.


Graduate Credit



Class Type:
In-Person, 8-week courses 

Transfer Credits:
Transfer up to 6 credits

Next Start Date:
May 20, 2024

Application Deadline:
May 1, 2024


Connect with an Advisor

Eleanore Sell at Midland University
Eleanore Sell

Program Advisor
Email Address:
Phone Number: 402-719-6430

Schedule a Virtual Meeting

How to Apply

To submit an application, applicants must meet the prerequisite criteria outlined below.

  1. Cumulative GPA of 3.0
  2. Successful completion of the following required prerequisite undergraduate courses:
    • Anatomy and Physiology with lab – 2 semesters
    • Biology with lab – 1 semester
    • Chemistry with lab – 1 semester
    • Exercise Physiology –  1 semester
    • Kinesiology/Biomechanics – 1 semester
    • Physics with lab – 1 semester
    • Psychology – 1 semester 
    • Statistics –  1 semester

Already Have a Bachelor’s Degree?

Midland is proud to offer a traditional, two-year Master of Athletic Training path for students who have already completed their undergraduate degrees. Contact us a to learn more.

MAT 3+2 Option FAQs
How does my financial aid work with the MAT 3+2?

For the first seven semesters, or the semesters you are a traditional undergraduate at Midland, your financial aid will be awarded as a traditional undergraduate student. This means that you will receive the same scholarship and grant aid you were awarded when you began your enrollment at Midland, assuming you meet the normal renewal requirements. FAFSA filers will also receive the aid they qualify for as an undergraduate student. Please note a new FAFSA is required each year in order to be considered for federal aid.

At the end of the fall term prior to beginning the spring graduate term, your FAFSA will be updated by the MU Financial Aid Team to reflect your new status as a graduate student.  A spring/summer graduate student financial aid award will be packaged after that.  (You should also plan to file a new FAFSA for the next academic year so we can package your aid for the following graduate year at Midland).

Does my Midland scholarship and grant aid carry forward into the graduate program?

No. The Midland scholarship and grant aid you were awarded applies only to your undergraduate program and undergraduate costs. The MAT graduate program costs are charged at a different (lower) rate than undergraduate tuition and the program is shorter.

I thought my scholarship was for four years. Why does it not apply?

You are graduating in three and one-half years and only being charged for three and one-half years of undergraduate tuition. The scholarship funds help offset those undergraduate costs.

How is my financial aid different as a graduate student?

As a graduate student filing a FAFSA, federal graduate unsubsidized direct loans are available to help with your tuition and fee costs. Graduate students can borrow higher amounts of these loans, which may also provide some assistance for other expenses in some cases. Depending on your situation and remaining costs, other loan options may also be available.

Can I still play my sport during the first spring semester as a graduate student?

Generally speaking, yes, based on the latest NAIA eligibility guidelines. However, please confirm your eligibility with the MU Athletic Department.

I Accept

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. If you continue using our website, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website and you agree to our Privacy Policy.