National Board Certification Preparation
The National Board Certification Preparation program must accompany the Master of Education in Leadership, Teaching, and Learning program/core requirements.
What is National Board Certification?
Grounded in the National Board’s Five Core Propositions that describe what teachers should know and be able to do, the certification process is designed to collect standards-based evidence of accomplished practice*. In all 25 certificate areas, candidates are required to complete four components: Content Knowledge, Differentiation in Instruction, Teaching Practice and Learning Environment, and Effective and Reflective Practitioner.
*Information provided by https://www.nbpts.org
100% Online, 8-week courses
Transfer up to 40% of the degree total
Next Start Date:
March 13, 2023
March 1, 2023
*This program is 36 credit hours if paired with an MEd
National Board-Certified teachers prove their effectiveness in the classroom every day. Here are some reasons to become Board-Certified:
- Students achieve more. Research shows students of Board-Certified teachers learn more than their peers without Board-Certified teachers. Board-Certified teachers are also found to have a greater positive impact on minority and low-income students.
- Teachers’ efficacy improves. Obtaining the Board Certification allows teachers to hone their practice, showcase their talent in the classroom, and demonstrate their dedication to their students and their profession.
- Demonstrate a commitment to excellence. Schools with National Board Certified Teachers are categorized by exceptional teacher morale and retention and increased community involvement.
- Board Certification opens doors. Board-certified teachers are recognized as experts. Therefore, they are often sought out for leadership positions in their schools and districts.*
*Information provided by https://www.nbpts.org
- Financial Incentives. Many local school districts and professional organizations recognize National Board Certification through local agreements.
- State Recognition. The certificate is valid for ten years, beginning with the school year in which the Master Teacher status was achieved.
- Leadership Opportunities. Board certification can enable teachers to take on leadership roles—such as mentoring, leading professional development efforts, and advocating for policy changes—that allow them to advance their careers while staying in the classroom.
* Information provided by https://www.nbpts.org
Meet Our Advising Team
Our advising and admissions team at Midland University’s Center for Graduate and Professional Studies are a valuable resource to students who have questions about their program, school schedule, or even what books to purchase for next semester.
Curriculum & Learning Environment
Students complete 18 credits (6 courses) in a general core curriculum during the first year of coursework and an additional 18 credits (6 courses) within the chosen concentration in the second year.
In the first year of the program, students will focus on completing their core curriculum for the Master of Education in Leadership, Teaching, and Learning program. Students will complete the following courses:
- EDU 520: Education Law and Governance (3 credits)
- EDU 521: Societal Frameworks in Education (3 credits)
- EDU 522: Transformational Leadership (3 credits)
- EDU 523: Continuous School Improvement (3 credits)
- EDU 524: Action Research and School Improvement (3 credits)
- EDU 525: Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment and Programming (3 credits)
Area of Emphasis (18 Credits)
- EDU 630: Introduction to NBPTS Candidacy (3 credits)
- EDU 631: Effective Teaching (3 credits)
- EDU 632: Differentiation in Instruction (3 credits)
- EDU 633: Effective and Reflective Practitioner (3 credits)
- EDU 634: Teaching Practice and the Learning Environment (3 credits)
- EDU 698: School Improvement Action Research Project – Capstone (3 credits)
Categories for comprehensive certification include the following areas:
To apply to the National Board Certification Preparation program, students must begin the process by filling out our online application and creating an account on our admissions portal.
Please complete the graduate application.
For more admissions information, visit our admissions page.Learn More About Admissions
Cost & Aid
We understand that the decision to earn a graduate-level endorsement represents a serious investment of time and money. The program offers an invaluable experience for practicing educators, and it is an investment that will provide significant returns for the rest of your teaching career. That said, there are plenty of ways to fund your higher education!Learn More About Cost & Aid