Site Search

Student Accommodations & Accessibility Office

Resources for Students

Resources for Students

Academic Accommodations

Academic Accommodations are for classes, assignments, tests, and facilities. If you have  a disability or had accommodations in high school, you will likely want to request academic accommodations. 

Please follow these steps to get academic accommodations set up: 

  1. Email to schedule an Accommodations Meeting with the Student Accommodations Specialist.
  2. Before your meeting, try to complete the Academic Accommodations – Self Report Form. (You can also fill this out during your meeting.)
    1. Many students also choose to bring additional documentation, such as letters from healthcare provider(s) and information from previous schools, such as 504 plans, IEP documents, or accommodation agreements. This documentation may be required on a case-by-case basis for accommodations to be approved.
  3. Attend your Accommodations Meeting to discuss what accommodations would create access for you at Midland University. If any other steps are needed, they will be discussed at this time.
  4. Then, the Student Accommodations Specialist will send out your Accommodations Plan to your faculty.
  5. Meet with each course instructor to discuss the accommodations. Collect their signature and return the signature sheet.

Accommodations are not retroactive, so please complete this process as soon as possible.

Housing Accommodations: ESAs and Service Animals

Emotional Support Animals

Emotional Support Animals are animals whose presence verifiably reduces the impact of a disability, beyond the benefits of a pet, through its relationship with the owner. 

ESAs are not allowed to be on campus until they are approved by the Vice President for Student Affairs and all of these steps are completed.

  1. Have your healthcare provider complete the ESA Accommodations Request Form, which will be sent to the Vice President for Student Affairs for consideration.
  2. Submit proof of your Fremont license for your ESA. Please remember that these licenses run from January through December, so you will need to renew this license in January.
  3. Submit a copy of your ESA’s current vaccination records, specifically showing the up-to-date rabies vaccination. 
  4. Complete and submit your ESA Residential Contract, which also must be signed by the Student Accommodations Specialist and the Vice President for Student Affairs. 

Once these steps are completed, you will receive a copy of your ESA Residential Contract signed by the Vice President for Student Affairs and the Student Accommodations Specialist. At that time, your ESA is approved to be on campus. 

Service Animals

Service animals are trained to perform a specific task that is required because of a disability. Students with service animals can voluntarily register them with the Student Accommodations & Accessibility Office. 

Please provide the Student Accommodations & Accessibility Office with the name and breed of the dog (sometimes this is provided on a certificate), proof of a Fremont license, and proof of vaccination specifically showing the up-to-date rabies vaccination. 

If you provide this information, Residence Life would know you have a dog, so you shouldn’t get as many questions about your service dog being with you in your dorm. The Student Accommodations & Accessibility Office can also notify your faculty before your classes start, if you choose, so you won’t get as many questions about your service dog being with you in classrooms. In case of emergencies, we can alert first responders that your service dog is with you and not to be separated from you. 

Temporary Accommodations


If you get a concussion through a Midland University activity, the Athletic Trainers will coordinate your accommodations. If you sustain a concussion outside of Midland University, please email


If you are having surgery, please email to provide documentation from your healthcare provider. 

Doctors can fill out the Surgery Documentation Form or provide that information on their own letterhead. 

All Other Temporary Accommodations 

For any other temporary accommodations, please email to set up an Accommodations Meeting. 

Test Accommodations

Note: “Test” can include exams, quizzes, midterms, finals, etc. 

At the beginning of each semester, please meet with your course instructors to discuss all of your accommodations, including test accommodations. Discuss your syllabus with your instructor. If it has a list of dates for tests, forward those dates and times to during the first two weeks of the semester. 

If your instructors have any questions, please email

Scheduling Tests in the Individual Test Rooms

At least 48 hours before each test, email Include:

  • CC your course instructor
  • Date and time of test
  • Name of the class
  • Name of the test 

Test Appointments

  • Meet the proctor outside of the individual study rooms in the back of Luther Library 
  • Leave all electronic devices outside of your testing room, unless it is listed on your accommodations plan or specifically allowed on the exam
  • The proctor will enter any passwords and provide any instructor-approved information sheets
iPad Accessibility

All Midland undergraduates are provided with an iPad. iPad accessibility features can be helpful for all students. For more information on iPad accessibility and apps, email

Appeal Process

If a student believes they are being excluded from participation or denied the benefits of the education process based on the student’s disability and required appropriate and reasonable accommodation has not been provided, the student can appeal. 

If the student went through the Student Accommodations & Accessibility Office process to request accommodations, and the accommodation, or lack thereof, is perceived as unsatisfactory, the student can follow these steps: 

  1. Inform the Student Accommodations Specialist about the problem, seeking consultation and advocacy. 
  2. Discuss the lack of accommodation(s) with the person(s) perceived as the source of the problem and seek resolution. If no resolution is agreed to:
  3. Forward the appeal request to the Student Accommodations Specialist. The designated staff will serve as an advocate for the student. 
    1. The appeal request will be forwarded to the Vice President for Academic Affairs and reviewed by a senior leadership ad hoc committee.
    2. The student and the Student Accommodations Specialist will be provided an opportunity to present the request to the senior leadership ad hoc committee. 
    3. The decision of the committee is final.

To address questions regarding issues with accommodations, contact the Student Accommodations Specialist at


The Student Accommodations & Accessibility Office provides both digital and physical copies of all forms – email or stop by the office in Luther Library.

I Accept

This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. If you continue using our website, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this website and you agree to our Privacy Policy.